Hello, my name is Steve and this is the equivalent of a pressure release valve for all the stuff thats brewing or fermenting inside my noggin. My interests include: Hunting, winemaking, beer brewing, and most other outdoor activities. My political thoughts steer to the right and are fairly unshakable. As I write this, it's snowing like all get-out here in Wisconsin and it's the 29th of March! So much for global warming huh? Just yesterday I transferred 8 gallons of Pumpkin wine that I made with 30 lbs of pumpkin last October. The smell coming off the carboy during racking was very encouraging! While I won't say it was "pumpkiny" I will say that it had a very smooth, almost vanilla aroma along with some of the spices I put in last racking (ginger, allspice, nutmeg and clove).
This years State fair amateaur winemaking competition will begin in may and I've pretty much decided to enter my Strawberry, Asian/bartlett pear, and banana wines.... I'd enter more, but you have to give 2 bottles for each entry, and I don't want to give them all away.
Last weekend I pruned my grape vines in the backyard after going to Cedarburg Winery's open house and saw a class on grape vine prunning by Phillipe Couqard (sp?). I realized that I was leaving WAY too many buds on the vines, thus, making it very hard to get a consistant crop in the fall. I also know now that I have to thin out the leaves and prune again once the fruit starts showing... in order to let more air circulate into the vines and more sunlight. This will prevent powdery mildew and other spore problems that I've been battling these years.
Work is slow, because of the economy. I'm optomistic that someone in government will realize that they can't keep spending all our FUTURE money and things will get better.
Till next time
Steve
This years State fair amateaur winemaking competition will begin in may and I've pretty much decided to enter my Strawberry, Asian/bartlett pear, and banana wines.... I'd enter more, but you have to give 2 bottles for each entry, and I don't want to give them all away.
Last weekend I pruned my grape vines in the backyard after going to Cedarburg Winery's open house and saw a class on grape vine prunning by Phillipe Couqard (sp?). I realized that I was leaving WAY too many buds on the vines, thus, making it very hard to get a consistant crop in the fall. I also know now that I have to thin out the leaves and prune again once the fruit starts showing... in order to let more air circulate into the vines and more sunlight. This will prevent powdery mildew and other spore problems that I've been battling these years.
Work is slow, because of the economy. I'm optomistic that someone in government will realize that they can't keep spending all our FUTURE money and things will get better.
Till next time
Steve
No comments:
Post a Comment